Question of the Week: Is technology really all that bad?
What if we consider the fact that MAYBE, just maybe, it's us who are the problem and not the technology at all. Sure, cyber bullying and internet predators are two very serious and very real examples of the dangers of technological evolution, but surely those types of things can't be blamed on the technology can they?...after all, it's not the
cellphones or computers themselves that are doing these things. I think that phones, social media, the internet, tv...these things were all created and introduced to make our lives easier or better...just like guns, which made hunting animals for food so much easier...oh, and killing each other too. As that famous saying goes..."Guns don't kill people, People kill people!"
No, I don't think technology is the issue at all; in fact, I can list countless ways technology has improved my life in the last 30 years (see below). I can also make the statement that, just like many of the other problems in the world, (war, predjudice, hate), when it comes to technology, we are entirely to blame.
WHAT DO YOU THINK? Can we blame technology? Share your thoughts and let me know some of the ways technology has improved your life!
9. My daughter (age 1) can video chat (skype) with her Great-Grandparents (ages 83) in Arizona
8. Playing Angry Birds in waiting rooms.
7. Video/TV on demand - I can rent a movie without getting off the couch.
6. Fast-Forward TV Commercials.
5. Booking vacations online.
4. Email is just so convenient.
3. itunes - I can buy new music the night before it is released in stores.
2. Texting means I don't have to talk on the phone so much.
1. My ipod has over 10,000 songs, and it's a lot lighter than a walkman.